Citrus Marinated Tempeh with Curry Gravy
- Zest & juice of one orange
- Zest & juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 8z block of tempeh
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup-1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 T all-purpose flour
- 1 T curry powder
- 1/8 t ground coriander
- 1/8 t cayenne
- Salt, to taste
1. Cut tempeh in half, then cut each half on the diagonal to form four triangles. Place tempeh in a pot of simmering water for 10 minutes. This will take the bitter taste from the tempeh and also open up its pores to help the marinade infuse. When it’s done, set it aside.
2. Prepare marinade by whisking all the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Either leave the marinade in the bowl or add it to a Ziplock bag. Place tempeh in the marinade, coating both sides of the triangles. Allow tempeh to marinate for at least one hour.
3. Add olive oil (about a tablespoon) to a skillet set to medium heat. Add tempeh and cook on both sides for about 5 minutes, or until brown and slightly crispy. Set tempeh aside.
4. Melt a tablespoon of butter into the skillet. Then, slowly add the flour, curry, cayenne and coriander and whisk until mixture is smooth. Allow the flour to cook for about a minute. Slowly add vegetable stock until you’ve reached your desired consistency. Gravy will continue to thicken as it cools, so err on the thinner side. You’ll end up adding anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup of stock. Serve over marinated tempeh.
I highly recommend serving this along with a heaping pile of fragrant basmati rice and roasted vegetables.
I'm a 200-hour Registered Yoga Teacher, writer and cat lover in Orlando, Florida. Thank you for stopping by!